Recovery Support Peer Specialist Training
Help guide, mentor, and support people in recovery
The Council on Recovery is Houston's leading source of Recovery Support Peer Specialist training. The 19.5 hour Core training over three days and 46-hour RSPS training course over five days gives participants the tools and resources to help others on their chosen path to recovery. The Council also provides Peer Specialist Supervisor training for those wanting to supervise Recovery Support Peer Specialists.
About Recovery Support Peer Specialists
Recovery Support Peer Specialists are not therapists nor do they provide clinical services. Instead, they help guide people on the road to recovery with the skills and support necessary for lasting recovery. Recovery Support Peer Specialists focus on non-clinical issues such as housing, employment, dealing with drug court and probation officers, and locating treatment resources. Through a one-on-one relationship, they also help engage people with the recovery community, including Twelve Step meetings and other support groups. Click here for a helpful InfoGraphic about Recovery Support Peer Specialists (formerly referred to as Recovery Coaches).
Core Training – November 1- 3, 2023 from 9 am – 5 pm, including 1 hour lunch
RSPS Supplemental Training – Nov 8 - 15, 2023 from 9 am – 6 pm, including 1 hour lunch (Does not include weekend)
The training course is limited to 20 participants and fills quickly, so early registration is recommended.
To be eligible for the Recovery Support Peer Specialist Training, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have lived experience with a mental health condition, substance use issue, or both.
- Must be willing to appropriately share your recovery story.
- Must be able to demonstrate current self-directed recovery.
- Review the Texas Health and Human Services Commission's self-assessment/orientation and fill out the Attestation of Completion.
- Fill out the pre-enrollment application form below and make sure to upload the signed HHSC Attestation of Completion.
- Once your application has been approved, we will notify you and provide links to self-study articles along with additional instructions. (The Texas requirement for the training includes 40 hours in-classroom and 6 hours of self-study articles. These articles are provided to trainees to read and then submit a two paragraph summary on each article prior to the first day of class.)
- You must attend all days of training and pass a knowledge assessment for the Core and Supplemental trainings to receive your certificate of completion.
Pre-enrollment application form
Fill out entirely and press "Submit" button below.