Happenings at The Council on Recovery
The Council on Recovery's campus at 303 Jackson Hill Street is the vibrant center of many community events throughout the year:
- The Council is home to more than 40 Twelve-Step meetings and other recovery groups every week.
- We host regular yoga and meditation classes open to the public at no cost.
- The Sober Recreation Committee holds its movie nights and annual Addicted to Comedy show in our theater.
- The Council's Concert for Recovery series has also brought top musical performers to our community venue.
- The start/finish line for The Council-co-sponsored annual Run for Recovery is outside our front door.
In addition to hosting workshops, training, and continuing education for professionals in the social work and mental health communities, The Council offers numerous programs each year for the general public. These include lectures, panel discussions, and town-hall meetings with prominent local and national experts in the field of treatment and recovery. Educational and experiential programs, such as our quarterly Family Hour, provide the latest insights on serious trending issues, such as high-risk adolescent behavior; family dysfunction; opioid epidemic; depression and suicide; internet, video gaming, and pornography addictions.
By far, the largest and longest-running community event hosted by The Council is the Waggoners Foundation Speaker Series. Since 1999, this premier charity event has gained national recognition and our Spring and Fall Luncheons are two of the largest philanthropic gatherings in Houston. The friend-raising fundraising Luncheons each attract more than 1,000 attendees and, together, have raised millions to directly fund The Council’s many programs over the years.
If you would like to receive email announcements of upcoming community events at The Council, click here.
For quick access to our complete schedule of upcoming events, please visit our Facebook events calendar. While there, please share our events with your friends and be sure to "Like" our Facebook page.
Contact The Council's venue team if you are interested in holding your next meeting, conference, presentation, or training seminar on our campus. You will have a great space for your event and support our ongoing efforts to serve our community. For more information, click here.